Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 04:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Food: What The Heck Should I Eat?

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Food: What The Heck Should I Eat?  (Read 1374 times)
guest587
« Reply #60 on: Mar 09, 2023 05:35 am »

When You Should Eat Organic

For most of human history, all agriculture was pesticide-free. But that changed dramatically after World War II, when companies that produced chemical weapons for the war began to sell their toxins (former biological weapons such as poison nerve gas) to farmers to kill off weevils, wireworms, beetles, and other agricultural pests. By the 1950s, American farmers were regularly spraying their crops with vast quantities of DDT, an endocrine disruptor and carcinogen. In the 1970s, DDT's harmful side effects in humans and wildlife became widely known thanks to Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring. Public outrage led to a nationwide ban on its use in agriculture in 1972, but by the scientists had already developed whole new classes of chemicals to spray on produce. Today, more than 5 billion pounds of pesticides are used in farming each year- a quarter of it in the United States alone.

Pesticides became a mainstay as a way to increase the yield and profitability of farming. But there's plenty of evidence that they're neurotoxic and carcinogenic for those of us who eat them. A large meta-analysis in the journal Neurotoxicology found that chronic exposure to some common pesticides significantly increased the risk of Parkinson's disease. Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations because of that. Studies in adults and children have also linked pesticide exposure to kidney, pancreatic, prostate, breast and stomach cancers, as well as harmful chemicals from farms into rivers and surrounding areas, affecting even those of us who don't consume them in our food. And they linger in the environment- and our bodies- for decades. In a 2005 report, the Environmental Working group found DDT in the umbilical cords of babies before they even took their first breath. These toxic chemicals stick around for dozens or sometimes hundreds of years, even after their use is banned or stopped.

But you can greatly lower your exposure to pesticides by eating organic. A 2015 study funded by the EPA found that consumers who often or always bought organic had significantly less insecticide in their urine, even though they ate 70 precent more produce than people who bought only conventionally grown fruits and vegetables.

As you've no doubt noticed, organic is often costlier, which can be an obstacle for many people. Is it worth it? In some cases, absolutely. The Environmental Working Group ranks the fruits and vegetables that are most contaminated with pesticide residue. That list, known as the Dirty Dozen, can tell you which foods you must buy organic. The EWG also keeps a list of the foods that have the least amount of pesticide residues, known as the Clean Fifteen. You can go to EWG.org for the lists and background report in its entirety. The EWG research turned up some interesting information:

*The average potato has more pesticides by weight than any other produce.
*A single sweet bell pepper sample contained fifteen different pesticides.
*Kale, collard greens, other leafy greens, and hot peppers are not among the Dirty Dozen, but they are "of particular concern" because residue tests conducted by the USDA found especially toxic pesticides, "including organophosphate and carbamate insecticides. These are no longer detected widely on other produce, either because of binding legal restrictions or voluntary phase-outs." My advice: Buy these organic.

Half of the foods on the EWG Dirty Dozen list- the ones that contain the highest pesticide residues- are vegetables. (The rest are fruits, which we'll discuss in another chapter.) Here are the vegetables we should buy organic when possible:

*Celery
*Spinach
*Tomatoes
*Bell peppers
*Cherry tomatoes
*Cucumbers
*Kale
*Collard greens
*Other leafy greens
*Hot peppers

Here are the ones you can safely buy nonorganic when your options are limited:

*Cabbage
*Frozen sweet peas
*Onions
*Aspargus
*Eggplant
*Cauliflower
Excerpt from the book, Food: What The Heck Should I Eat? by Dr. Mark Hyman
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: Mar 12, 2023 04:44 pm »

Good excerpt!
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #62 on: Mar 22, 2023 05:57 am »

Dr. Mark Hyman mentions karma while discussing fruit,
     One of the trendiest fruits in America is avocado(yes, it's a fruit). But while our relatively newfound love of avocados means more income for Mexico- that's where we get 60 percent of them- it also means trouble. There isn't enough farmland available to meet the skyrocketing global demand, so some farmers are illegally cutting down forests to make room. Between 2001 and 2010, some regions of Mexico lost as many as 1,700 acres of forestland per year as a direct result of the growing demand for avocado production. On top of that, gangs sometimes demand a cut of growers' profits, and those who refuse to pay face violence. Unfortunately, that guacamole you add to your burrito bowl may come with a high karmic price tag.

The agricultural regions of Colombia, Ecuador, and other countries are often unstable, violent environments. In 2007, Chiquita was fined for paying a notorious terrorist group in Colombia for protection. Dole, in 2009, came under fire for funding militia groups that murdered union leaders and used terror tactics to discourage workers from organizing. To ensure that you're not supporting these practices or the people who perpetrate them, you should look for bananas with "Equal Exchange" stickers, which means that fruit was produced in a safe way that's fair to workers. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and other health food stores offer organic fruit from smaller farms closer to home.

Going local, season, and organic can reduce the environmental impact of fruit. Organic eliminates the many dangers that pesticides pose to your health, the environment, and farmworkers, and eating locally grown produce while it's in season reduces its carbon footprint.

You can also grow your own fruit, the safest and freshest choice of all. I just planted a mini-orchard of five fruit trees in my backyard. But if that's not an option, you can shop farmer's markets or join a CSA(community-supported agriculture). To find the nearest CSA or farmers' market, or to learn more about fair trade and farmer co-ops, check out the following resources:

*The Local Harvest website, which maintains a nationwide directory of small farms, farmers' markets, and other local food sources: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
*The National Farmers Market Directory, maintained by the USDA https://www.ams.usda.gov/local-food-directories/farmersmarkets
*The website of Equal Exchange, which promotes fair trade and worker co-operatives that benefit farmers: http://equalexchange.coop/about
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: Mar 24, 2023 11:07 pm »

Good suggestions overall, even though if we want to be perfectly moral in our food choices we should be retired because that becomes a full-time job.

I sure try and buy most produce in season, since in my family we eat boatloads of vegetables. Right now Savoy cabbage, cauliflower, and fennels, are inexpensive and satiating choices. Frozen veggies like spinach and swiss chard can also be pretty cheap and an excellent alternative to fresh produce (besides being time-saving).
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #64 on: Mar 28, 2023 11:32 pm »

Thanks Mccoy.

I don't suppose there's getting something 100% entirely correct. If that were the case we may be called Avatars with the ability to levitate and receive our nourishment from the sun alone.

So I think people are where they are, doing the best they can... And when the time comes for their next step in personal evolution, it will be apparent. Other times I find what knowledge I have acquired falls on deaf ears if I share it with someone so accustomed to their own lifestyle choices. Other times I ignore the wisdom of moral and healthy eating to satisfy base cravings, and I too don't always "hear" what someone has to say.

All in God timing.

Fortunately, our loving Father is so patient. My Beloved God.
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2023 06:06 pm »

Imagine my surprise that I stumbled across an excerpt in this book confirming what Alex Jones has been warning the public about for over a decade now.

The fabled, "they're turning the frogs gay!" meme which has been terribly taken out of context originated from Alex Jones warning the public about atrazine and other harmful substances.

Taken from, Food: What The Heck Should I Eat - Grains

8. Your Corn Has Been Abused

Corn's an unusual case. It's a grain many of us believe isn't particularly healthy, mostly due to its high starch content. But we're at least partly wrong. Corn itself- fresh corn, also known as sweet corn- contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, which our gut bacteria turns into short-chain fatty acids that lower our risk of intestinal ailments, including colon cancer. Each variety of fresh corn- yellow, white, red, blue, purple- contains vitamins and minerals such as potassium and magnesium, and antioxidant phytonutrients, especially carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for eye health. However, corn these days does contain lots of starch, thanks to the newer hybrids that emphasize its sweetness. This means it's not ideal for those of us struggling with weight or blood sugar control. Still, we can eat it in its natural, whole, fresh state, as long as it's organic and non-GMO- and on the cob.

That said, nearly 90 precent of corn grown in the United States is GMO. And GMO corn in some form or another shows up in an estimated 70 precent of processed foods- either as a sweetener (the notorious high-fructose corn syrup) or in other additives with long, unrecognizable names. GMO corn is routinely grown using the pesticide atrazine, which is banned in Europe because it is a proven endocrine disrupter. (Researchers say that exposure turns male frogs into females!) Among humans there's a possible connection between a mother's exposure to atrazine and a newborn male genital malformation. So if you're going to eat corn, be sure to shop with care.
~Dr. Mark Hyman
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2023 02:28 pm »

Good to hear Eric maybe Alex is helping us turn a lot of our population gay as well so we can slow population growth! An admirable message!
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest587
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2023 03:11 pm »

Steve, this is your second attempt at voicing your sarcasm and I can't help but think it's because you are fishing for a response. The reason I have chosen to ignore you the first time is because I consider it unproductive and a go nowhere or get angry at the other kind of conversation. I don't appreciate your sarcasm even though you really do believe what you are saying, genital malformity and the toxicity of atrazine is no laughing matter.

Please see this thread you've created,

http://spiritualportal.net/index.php/topic,8131.msg39900.html#msg39900

An excerpt of your words,

I have found that many concessions take place in getting along with people. If you want to have a site with common interests and aspirations it is imperative to keep to those goals with not too many distractions. Because if we allow too many distractions we have proved that we get involved in needless disputes and social differences. That is why I had to change my personality and the topics at the portal.

I don't find your replies cute or funny, and I don't believe you somehow have a more correct view of the world than me. Please don't limit me to your views either. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2023 09:48 pm »

Eric your statement above brought a reverie to me. I don’t remember when or how I made that statement you quoted so I cannot respond to it. I will say this; I do find tremendous irony ( no sarcasm intended ) with Alex Jones commentary. And actually I am dead serious. Short of killing our brothers and sisters, influencing them to become gay to curb population explosion is a great idea. What ever it takes to have less cars on the road and enjoy nature without prosecution from private ownership of most nature lovers treasures.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023 10:16 pm by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest587
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2023 10:00 pm »

I disagree, and you can click the link I've provided if it jars your memory. According to the records you made that post 10-12-2022.

I don't think spreading HIV and disrupting the endocrine system is a great idea *at all.* Essentially you're promoting disease- physiological and psychological. Things like mass shootings, suicide, murder, fear, anger- compulsory behaviors. Of course we've created drugs with the promise of fixing these "issues" when most of these issues could be addressed by better understanding the laws of nature, organic practices and consuming whole and nutritious foods. Meditation is a big help too but the west is more likely to prescribe xanax and ADHD medication.

Intentionally sabotaging peoples biology and food supply in the name of population control is quite nefarious- not something to be celebrated. I don't know why, as an adult, I'd need to tell you that.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2023 10:22 pm »

Wow 😮 I only said that Alex Jones making fogs gay or for that humans as well…. Would bring a reduction in humans multiplying as rats. The most invasive of species. I never promoted the methods you spoke of in your last post. That’s your idea, not mine.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest587
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2023 10:45 pm »

Then, it is clear you don't know what you mean or what you support when you say turning people gay in the name of population control sounds like a great idea. We were talking about toxic chemicals disrupting a persons biology.

I'm going to steer the conversation just a little bit- I saw you posted something with all kinds of seed oils and thought I'd provide a little insight as presented by Dr. Mark Hyman on the subject of Omega 3's and Omega 6's.

Omega-3s are the better of the two. They're like powerful medicine without the side effects. They reduce inflammation, promote cardiovascular health, protect your brain, and help prevent metabolic syndrome and chronic diseases. We know how important they are because of what happens when we don't get enough (and more than 90 percent of Americans are deficient in omega-3 fats). People who lack omega-3s in their diets are at greater risk of heart diseases and chronic inflammation. Deficiencies have been linked to a higher prevalence of Alzheimer's disease and dementia, ADD, violence, depression, and even suicide.

Omega-6s, on the other hand, can increase inflammation in the face of oxidative stress. When your body has too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3, the natural result is chronic inflammation, which promotes a variety of diseases. A large randomized controlled trial, the Lyon Diet Heart Study, found that decreasing the amount of omega-6 fats people consumed while increasing their omega-3 fat intake reduced heart attacks by 70 precent, protected against cancer, and lowered mortality rates. Omega-3s are abundant in a few natural whole foods like fatty fish, seafood, eggs, grass-fed meat, flaxseeds, algae, and walnuts. Omega-6s are mostly found in nuts, seeds, grains, beans, highly refined vegetable oils, and ultraprocessed packaged foods- exactly the things you shouldn't be eating (except small amounts of whole grains and beans). Whole nuts and seeds are the best source of omega-6 fats. In fact, according to the USDA, Americans now get almost 10 percent of their calories from refined soybean oil, which is one of the most abundant sources of omega-6 fatty acids. Plus, it often contains high levels of glyphosate, or Roundup, the toxic herbicide used by Monsanto.

As Mark Hyman says, the bottom line is we absolutely need polyunsaturated fats- both omega-3 and omega-6. But we should get them from whole foods and whole plant foods.

On a separate note, palm oil is one of the largest cause of deforestation, disrupting ecosystems and have violated human rights- even threatening the orangutans.

In his summing it up chapter,
...We've been conditioned to believe that unsaturated fats from vegetable and seed oils are best, and that butter, coconut oil, lard, ghee, and other saturated fats are toxic. But in fact, the reverse is true. Focus on eating the fats and oils that our ancestors ate, and banish the insutrtially produced, highly processed ones from our kitchen.

He goes on to say anything with the word hydrogenated is poison...
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2023 01:16 am »

You and I don’t have to agree on everything. Yet we both can bring our views to the table. First of all I do believe that over crowded environments result in a lot of tense situations. That tension does result in eventual health problems. Secondly Eric you are talking to someone who has avoided lard for his whole adult life. You are talking about toxic chemicals in food and I’m talking about toxic food and toxic environments affecting our food and biology.  I love Spanish food but I had to learn some Spanish to avoid lard in Mexican refried beans. ¿Tus frijoles refritos tienen manteca de cerdo? ( Do your refried beans have lard in them? ) Paramahansa Yogananda has stated many times that  pork and pig products as the worst for spiritual development among foods. And lard is Pork fat.

So in view of your comment about me and this subject I will say this now …. You are my brother and friend but only because you made the comment that I ‘do not know what I mean or what I support.’ I will now respond to your assertion. Some people you follow do not know what they mean or support. Fair enough? Lastly you put up some words I presumably said in the 2022. I find those words non offensive and innocuous. So I’m not sure what your intent was in quoting them.

Your quote from the last post

In his summing it up chapter,

...We've been conditioned to believe that unsaturated fats from vegetable and seed oils are best, and that butter, coconut oil, lard, ghee, and other saturated fats are toxic. But in fact, the reverse is true. Focus on eating the fats and oils that our ancestors ate, and banish the insutrtially produced, highly processed ones from our kitchen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023 01:57 am by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest587
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2023 01:55 am »

Fair enough, but if you want to be in mutual understanding or completely fair then it might be better to add the original context to my assertion-
"Then it is clear you don't know what you mean or what you support when you say turning people gay in the name of population control sounds like a great idea."

And we can also say that, relative to the wisdom relayed to us by Yogananda with regards to an initiates or devotees spiritual path that Dr. Mark Hymans advice on nutrition is not compatible. 

In fact I believe lard is quite nutritious and does well as a cooking agent whose contents can withstand temperatures that turn some seed oils toxic.

Even Gurunath, a supposed Kriya Master, told the meat eaters in his satsang that they should not abstain from meat. He simply said to eat it sparingly and to include plenty of greens.

What is more important are the mindful practices we cultivate, whatever the path we choose. With regards to nutrition, I mean to say that choosing grass-fed and pasture raised meat, supporting local small farms and organic practices have a far better impact than eating mass slaughtered, highly processed animal products where animals are treated poorly and fed an obscene diet. I say this as my opinion, and hope to apply this practice not just with what I eat but how I approach others who think differently than me.

I don't think I'm barred from Gods grace or spiritual progress by choosing a diet or lifestyle that works for me.

Separately- you asked why I quoted something you posted from 2022.

The intent, with quoting your words, was to prove your point. That many concessions take place in getting along with people. I agree. It was a pleasant surprise to see you had at one point felt something similar here:

http://spiritualportal.net/index.php/topic,8131.msg39900.html#msg39900

We can carry that conversation on, but I would hope by now the point has been made.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2023 01:59 am »

It does sound like a great idea. Why? Because the irony of the situation is that Alex Jones most likely didn’t mean it as beneficial. But slowing our invasive species from reproducing at current levels is most likely the best thing that could happen to our environment, our health and our safety to our planet.

We can chat further about Zelensky at a thread appropriate for it. Sufficient onto today are the troubles thereof.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023 02:09 am by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: