Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Chapter ll Sankhya and Yoga II:18-20 Spirit VS Souls

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chapter ll Sankhya and Yoga II:18-20 Spirit VS Souls  (Read 94 times)
guest88
« on: Jul 26, 2019 08:06 am »

verse 18
Regarded as having a termination of existence are these fleshly garments; immutable, imperishable, and limitless is the Indwelling Self. With this wisdom, O Descendant of Bharata (Arjuna), battle thou!

"The Divine Indweller, the Ever Youthful One whom the fingers of decay dare not touch, the One whose home is the region without boundaries, the One who can never be invaded by destruction- he it is who wears many costumes of flesh. Though his bodily garments decay, he himself is imperishable! Equipped with this armor of wisdom, O Arjuna, descendant of brave Bharata! boldly enter the arena of inner battle!"

Yogananda describes us as birds of eternity locked in a little cage. Krishna advises us to concentrate on our Inner Self, the image of the Eternal Spirit. Fight the senses and attachments to body. Die we must, we have a choice as to how. In verse 18 Yogananda reminds us of illumined masters who gave up their bodies by will (Christ and Kabir) and resurrected them after death or dematerialized them into Spirit (Babaji and Yukteswar also come to mind).

"It is more laudable to die for the general welfare than to expire on the comfortable bed of selfishness!"

verse 19
He who considers the Self as the slayer; he who deems that it can be slain: neither of these knows the truth. The Self does not kill, nor is it killed.

"This stanza expresses the profound truth of the immortal nature not only of the soul but of matter. As a reflection of Spirit, even matter is indestructible. The essence of matter is never destroyed; the human body, made of patterns of condensed electrons that are superficially changed by death, is in reality never annihilated."

Yogananda calls these forms "electric shadows."

verse 20
This Self is never born nor does it ever perish; nor having come into existence will it again cease to be. It is birthless, eternal, changeless, ever-same (unaffected by the usual processes associated with time). It is not slain when the body is killed.

"The difference between soul and Spirit is this: The Spirit is ever-existing, ever-conscious, ever-new omnipresent Joy; the soul is the individualized reflection of ever-existing, ever-conscious, ever-new Joy, confined within the body of each and every being.

The following analogy gives an illustration of the nature and immortality of the soul. (No analogies are perfect in expressing absolute verities, but they do help the mind to image abstract concepts.) The moon is reflected in a cup containing water; the cup is broken and the water runs out; where does the reflection of the moon go? The reflection of the moon may be said to have returned to its inseverable identity in the moon itself. If another cup of water is placed under the moon, another reflection of the moon would be reincarnated!

The soul is similarly reflected in the bodily cup filled with the water of the mind; within it we see the moon-soul, circumscribed by the bodily limitations, as the reflection of the omnipresent moon of Spirit. With the destruction of the body-cup, the moon reflection may for a time disappear in the Spirit; but, by use of the power of the free choice bestowed on it as the image of the Spirit, it created desires and karma while on earth that cause it to choose to be reflected again as the moon-soul within another bodily cup. Thus, though the bodies of man be mortal and changeable, immortal is the soul within them.

The reflected moon, circumscribed by a little cup, becomes, at the destruction of the cup, the one moon whose rays spread over the sky. Similarly, the soul, when fully liberated from imprisoning desires, becomes omnipresent like the Spirit."

Whilst we have them, we have the choice to shape these bodily-cups and purify these watery-minds to make the reflection all the clearer... We have the choice to transcend limitation by seeking the Source within, without.

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2019 07:05 pm »

Eric I remember as a younger man I was complaining that I never found anybody to have the same interest in the Vedas and specifically the Bhagavad-Gita. I always seemed to be pursued by Christians and felt I had to be up on the Bible to respond to their constant fixation on one one word of God; The Bible.

Recently, I have seen an increasing interest in these Indian scriptures and am grateful for what appeared to be unanswered prayers. Today I opened up the Gita to passages that pertain to these ‘compaints’ I have had. Verse II of chapter II

The blessed Lord said that thou has been lamenting for those not worth the lamentations! Yet thou hast utter words of lore. The truly wise mourn neither for those who are living nor for those who have passed away.

On the next page P.Y. caught my attention with these words:

To forsake the ignorant double-life the devotee should not be disturbed by the restless changes of life nor fearful of the momentary calmness of so-called death (suspension of physical activity) This is what is meant by the wise morning neither for the living nor the dead. The wise do not indulge in grief for things that are inevitably changeable and evanescent.

Those who always weep and complain that life is filled with bitter things reveal the narrowness of their minds. In God’s consciousness all worldly things are trifles, because they are not eternal. The distressful changes in life and death seem real because of man’s sense of possession-“my body, my family, my requirements.”

This is God’s world; death reminds us that nothing belongs to us, except what we are as souls. To be identified with a body and its surroundings is to meet time and again with the unexpected-the frightful changes that bend one down in unwilling submission.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2019 07:28 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2019 06:32 am »

That puts a lot into perspective. Yoganandas insights are profound, as is Sanskrit philosophy.

I feel a lot of gratitude reading these words, and a subtle stirring of the Heart.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: