Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 07:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What are thoughts?

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are thoughts?  (Read 520 times)
guest88
« on: May 03, 2019 07:07 am »

Are we our thoughts? Can't say I have an answer, just that there are times we find ourselves plagued with unwanted thoughts- from experience we understand them as undesirable for producing things like negative emotions and physical ailments. When we have this desire to combat intrusive thoughts we establish opposing forces in ourselves, so are we right to associate our identity with thought?

The life of duality tells me that thoughts are a tool and can be brought under control. If thoughts can produce negative effects in ourselves and around us they too can produce positive effects in us and around us. While we may not just be our thoughts, if this dense reality is a school house, we can at least understand the mechanics and affirm that these processes are a tool which can be used in creating the desired reality for the individual experience. Though, I don't know if we(humans) desire to take the reins of our minds completely, there are things outside of our control- thoughts are just one of the more intimate longstanding companions we experience in this body. I think sometimes we like to surrender our minds for better our worse to forces outside our control.

Having the desire to rid ourselves of unwanted thoughts, is will power closer to our identity? Is, I think the same as I am?

Thanks for taking the time.

Peace...
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019 05:19 am »

Thoughts are the echoes of the Television in the caves of my mind.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019 09:11 am »

From Inayat Khan,
What is man? Is not his soul divine substance? The very word man is from the Sanskrit Manu, which means mind. Man is what his mind is, what he thinks. 'As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is.' Even the future, as well as the past, is what he thinks, because he himself becomes the image of his thoughts. God created man in the image of his thoughts. If there is any self of which one can say, 'This is man', it is the mind. The three Sanskrit words Mana, Manu, Manushya show that man is his mind, is the product of his mind, and is also the controller of the activity of mind. If he does not control his mind, he is not a master but a slave. It lies with his own mind whether he shall be master, or whether he shall be slave. He is slave when he neglects to be master; he is master if he cares to be master.

In order to achieve stillness we must find a suitable technique which promotes concentration. Murshid says the level of stillness acquired by concentration is an even greater joy than the liberating effects of deep sleep.

You must first train your mind to concentrate. You can then direct your mind to be still and perceive AUM.  It is no easy task. Heaven is not what waits for you hereafter but these impressions are here now and you carry them with you. You will find whatever you create. If your mind can be still, life will be reflected with clarity, problems dissappear to understanding. If your mind can create stillness, your heart can hear God.

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019 09:32 am »

Remarkable quotes here Eric Sometimes it seems like the most important thing about this whole search and path is to be constantly reminded of the goal and the way to that goal. Despite the evil thoughts and manifestations that a man like Donald Trump bring to the world we can change those thoughts and those manifestations with our own thoughts and our own state of consciousness.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019 09:35 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019 03:58 pm »

For the entire transcript
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/VII/VII_16.htm

On difficulty of concentration,
The control of the activity of mind is called concentration in the language of the mystics. The meaning of this word is often not rightly understood. People are apt to think that concentration means only closing the eyes. But one may close one's eyes for hours, and still the thoughts keep coming like a moving picture. People are never at rest, never at peace; anxiety and sorrow do not disappear just because they close their eyes. It is concentration that does that. Concentration is activity of mind in the direction desired; our desire dictates in which way the mind is to be active; the mind acts according to our wishes.

How difficult it is to do this, is best known by those who have tried. As soon as the mind is still and inactive it begins to jump and run away from control. It runs in every direction but in that which we wish. We hold it; it slips away. Not till one begins to try and concentrate does one see how uncontrollable and unruly the mind is.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019 02:59 pm »

Isn't there a chapter in AoY which describes Sri Yukteswarji entering the mind of a thief and directing him with his Will?
...This is an example of the power of concentration.

But concentration has an even greater significance than this, for it is that creative power which man possesses and which he has as a heritage of God. That creative power begins to work wonders. For instance, a person thinks, 'I should like fish for dinner,' and when he comes home he finds that his housekeeper has cooked fish that evening. That is a phenomenon of concentration. He may not know it, but it worked in that way. The thought of the man struck the mind of the housekeeper, and the housekeeper served that dish to him. Imagine what a great power this is! One need not even think about one's desires. The very fact of having the desire is enough. Concentration works it out and materializes it.

Such is the power of concentration.
Taken from,
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IV/IV_29.htm
which describes the various stages of concentration... Inayat Khan says concentration is the beginning of meditation, meditation is the end of concentration.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2019 07:42 am »

the name of the chapter is, The Cauliflower Robbery.

Some days my mind tries to tell me how tired I am, but I find it important to meditate regardless. Sometimes meditation frees me from feeling tired, that is to say, I am no longer stuck in my head and have a renewed sense of energy.

I believe, as well, to have experienced a state of stillness of almost no thought. I wonder what that might be...

Other times the urge to surrender to the senses outweighs the desire to control the mind. Attempting to practice, despite ones conflicting urges, can at times uncover hidden energy.

Murshid has said to sleep when you aren't tired, to eat when you are full and vice versa- ex do not eat when you are hungry.

If we aren't accustomed to being the masters of our mind, we will be met with resistance. Some days we accept our condition as dictated by the sense-mind, it does not mean to abandon our practices. When you fall, it is not the end.

Thoughts might just be the aftermath for interpreting vibration, we are certainly not these words... how can we transcend these vibrations? What might liberate us? Understanding, concentration, meditation, faith, sincere prayer...
A concoction of perspective and will power... ??
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2019 05:31 am »

Today I had the thought while running, these bodies are like ships charting the waters. Should we decide to take hold of the wheel, we can navigate our course. With a little experience we can sail towards smoother waters. There might be no stopping a storm but we are better prepared if we decide to learn these waters and how to navigate.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: