Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 06:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

10 Sufi Principles

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Sufi Principles  (Read 738 times)
guest88
« on: Mar 09, 2019 04:28 pm »

inayat khan observes,
Man unites with others in the family tie, which is the first step in his evolution, and yet families in the past have fought with each other, and have taken vengeance upon one another for generations, each considering his cause to be the only true and righteous one. Today man shows his evolution in uniting with his neighbors and fellow-citizens, and even developing within himself the spirit of patriotism for his nation. He is greater in this respect than those in the past; and yet men so united nationally have caused the catastrophe of the modern wars, which will be regarded by the coming generations in the same light in which we now regard the family feuds of the past.

he goes on to say religion also divides, not because religion is wrong but that man lacks understanding. the 10 sufi thoughts offer liberation:
Religion in the Sanskrit language is termed Dharma, which means duty. The duty of every individual is religion. 'Every soul is born for a certain purpose, and the light of that purpose is kindled in his soul' says Sadi.

Religion, in the conception of a Sufi, is the path that leads man towards the attainment of his ideal, worldly as well as heavenly. Sin and virtue, right and wrong, good and bad are not the same in the case of every individual; they are according to his grade of evolution and state of life.

so as long as we are born into this body we experience separation but from our own existence we see the inner workings of self as it fathoms reality. understanding, which matures like the aging of the body, is inevitable. this unfolding is described as one guiding force and one path. ultimately, we are lead back to union.

'There is One Truth, the true knowledge of our being, within and without, which is the essence of all wisdom.'

Hazrat Ali says, 'Know thyself, and thou shalt know God.'

It is the knowledge of self which blooms into the knowledge of God. Self-knowledge answers such problems as: whence have I come? Did I exist before I became conscious of my present existence? If I existed, as what did I exist? As an individual such as I now am, or as a multitude, or as an insect, bird, animal, spirit, jinn, or angel? What happens at death, the change to which every creature is subject? Why do I tarry here awhile? What purpose have I to accomplish here? What is my duty in life? In what does my happiness consist, and what is it that makes my life miserable?
'There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, in which resides all perfection.'

'I passed away into nothingness – I vanished; and lo! I was all living.' All who have realized the secret of life understand that life is one, but that it exists in two aspects. First as immortal, all-pervading and silent; and secondly as mortal, active, and manifest in variety. The soul being of the first aspect becomes deluded, helpless, and captive by experiencing life in contact with the mind and body, which is of the next aspect. The gratification of the desires of the body and fancies of the mind do not suffice for the purpose of the soul, which is undoubtedly to experience its own phenomena in the seen and the unseen, though its inclination is to be itself and not anything else. When delusion makes it feel that it is helpless, mortal and captive, it finds itself out of place. This is the tragedy of life, which keeps the strong and the weak, the rich and poor, all dissatisfied, constantly looking for something they do not know. The Sufi, realizing this, takes the path of annihilation, and, by the guidance of a teacher on the path, finds at the end of this journey that the destination was he. As Iqbal says:

I wandered in the pursuit of my own self;
     I was the traveler,
          and I am the destination.

great teachers exist to show us a path to victory from our everyday battles and unite humanity.
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/I/I_I_1.htm
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2019 04:31 pm »

"'There is One Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, the only scripture which can enlighten the reader.'

Most people consider as sacred scriptures only certain books or scrolls written by the hand of man, and carefully preserved as holy, to be handed down to posterity as divine revelation. Men have fought and disputed over the authenticity of these books, have refused to accept any other book of similar character, and, clinging thus to the book and losing the sense of it, have formed diverse sects. The Sufi has in all ages respected all such books, and has traced in the Vedanta, Zend-Avesta, Kabbala, Bible, Quran, and all other sacred scriptures, the same truth which he reads in the incorruptible manuscript of nature, the only Holy Book, the perfect and living model that teaches the inner law of life: all scriptures before nature's manuscript are as little pools of water before the ocean.

To the eye of the seer every leaf of the tree is a page of the holy book that contains divine revelation, and he is inspired every moment of his life by constantly reading and understanding the holy script of nature.

When man writes, he inscribes characters upon rock, leaf, paper, wood, or steel. When God writes, the characters He writes are living creatures.

It is when the eye of the soul is opened and the sight is keen that the Sufi can read the divine law in the manuscript of nature; and that which the teachers of humanity have taught to their followers was derived by them from the same source. They expressed what little it is possible to express in words, and so they preserved the inner truth when they themselves were no longer there to reveal it."
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2019 04:36 pm »

1 There is One God, the Eternal, the Only Being; none exists save He.
2 There is One Master, the Guiding Spirit of all Souls, Who constantly leads His followers towards the light.
3 There is One Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, the only scripture which can enlighten the reader.
4 There is One Religion, the unswerving progress in the right direction towards the ideal, which fulfills the life's purpose of every soul.
5 There is One Law, the law of reciprocity, which can be observed by a selfless conscience, together with a sense of awakened justice.
6 There is One Brotherhood, the human brotherhood which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Fatherhood of God.
7 There is One Moral, the love which springs forth from self-denial and blooms in deeds of beneficence.
8 There is One Object of Praise, the beauty which uplifts the heart of its worshipers through all aspects from the seen to the unseen.
9 There is One Truth, the true knowledge of our being, within and without, which is the essence of all wisdom.
10 There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, in which resides all perfection.

As Iqbal says:

" I wandered in the pursuit of my own self;
         I was the traveler,
              and I am the destination."
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2020 05:56 am »

Because these principles need reading, over and over...
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020 10:57 am »

I like being told that something is worth reading over and over. As friends it is important to recognize we do not always have sufficient time to read everything carefully even if we would like.
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest587
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2023 06:12 am »

2 There is One Master, the Guiding Spirit of all Souls, Who constantly leads His followers towards the light.
3 There is One Holy Book, the sacred manuscript of nature, the only scripture which can enlighten the reader.
4 There is One Religion, the unswerving progress in the right direction towards the ideal, which fulfills the life's purpose of every soul.
5 There is One Law, the law of reciprocity, which can be observed by a selfless conscience, together with a sense of awakened justice.
6 There is One Brotherhood, the human brotherhood which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Fatherhood of God.
7 There is One Moral, the love which springs forth from self-denial and blooms in deeds of beneficence.
8 There is One Object of Praise, the beauty which uplifts the heart of its worshipers through all aspects from the seen to the unseen.
9 There is One Truth, the true knowledge of our being, within and without, which is the essence of all wisdom.
10 There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, in which resides all perfection.

As Iqbal says:

I was the traveler,

Number 10. One Path... It is the way of salvation. Liberation. Freedom.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2023 09:02 pm »

I have found these principles particularly of interest. And, that one of them in particular applies to the dynamics of my relationship with people here.

“Religion, in the conception of a Sufi, is the path that leads man towards the attainment of his ideal, worldly as well as heavenly. Sin and virtue, right and wrong, good and bad are not the same in the case of every individual; they are according to his grade of evolution and state of life.”

inayat khan observes,

he goes on to say religion also divides, not because religion is wrong but that man lacks understanding. the 10 sufi thoughts offer liberation:
Religion in the Sanskrit language is termed Dharma, which means duty. The duty of every individual is religion. 'Every soul is born for a certain purpose, and the light of that purpose is kindled in his soul' says Sadi.

Religion, in the conception of a Sufi, is the path that leads man towards the attainment of his ideal, worldly as well as heavenly. Sin and virtue, right and wrong, good and bad are not the same in the case of every individual; they are according to his grade of evolution and state of life.

so as long as we are born into this body we experience separation but from our own existence we see the inner workings of self as it fathoms reality. understanding, which matures like the aging of the body, is inevitable. this unfolding is described as one guiding force and one path. ultimately, we are lead back to union.

'There is One Truth, the true knowledge of our being, within and without, which is the essence of all wisdom.'

Hazrat Ali says, 'Know thyself, and thou shalt know God.'

It is the knowledge of self which blooms into the knowledge of God. Self-knowledge answers such problems as: whence have I come? Did I exist before I became conscious of my present existence? If I existed, as what did I exist? As an individual such as I now am, or as a multitude, or as an insect, bird, animal, spirit, jinn, or angel? What happens at death, the change to which every creature is subject? Why do I tarry here awhile? What purpose have I to accomplish here? What is my duty in life? In what does my happiness consist, and what is it that makes my life miserable?
'There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, in which resides all perfection.'

'I passed away into nothingness – I vanished; and lo! I was all living.' All who have realized the secret of life understand that life is one, but that it exists in two aspects. First as immortal, all-pervading and silent; and secondly as mortal, active, and manifest in variety. The soul being of the first aspect becomes deluded, helpless, and captive by experiencing life in contact with the mind and body, which is of the next aspect. The gratification of the desires of the body and fancies of the mind do not suffice for the purpose of the soul, which is undoubtedly to experience its own phenomena in the seen and the unseen, though its inclination is to be itself and not anything else. When delusion makes it feel that it is helpless, mortal and captive, it finds itself out of place. This is the tragedy of life, which keeps the strong and the weak, the rich and poor, all dissatisfied, constantly looking for something they do not know. The Sufi, realizing this, takes the path of annihilation, and, by the guidance of a teacher on the path, finds at the end of this journey that the destination was he. As Iqbal says:

I wandered in the pursuit of my own self;
     I was the traveler,
          and I am the destination.

great teachers exist to show us a path to victory from our everyday battles and unite humanity.
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/I/I_I_1.htm
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2023 09:07 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2023 10:58 am »

Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

We need today the religion of tolerance. In daily life we cannot all meet on the same ground, being so different, having such different capacities, states of evolution, and tasks. So if we had no tolerance, no desire to forgive, we could never bring harmony into our soul; for to live in the world is not easy and every moment of the day demands a victory. If there is anything to learn, it is tolerance.

from  https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/X/X_5_1.htm

Tolerance is the first lesson of morals, and the next is forgiveness. A person who tolerates another through fear, through pride, from a sense of honor, or by the force of circumstances does not know tolerance. Tolerance is the control of the impulse of resistance by will. There is no virtue in tolerance which one practices because one is compelled by circumstances to tolerate, but tolerance is a consideration by which one overlooks the fault of another and gives no way in oneself to the impulse of resistance. A thoughtless person is naturally intolerant, but if a thoughtful person is intolerant, it shows his weakness. He has thought, but has no self-control. In the case of the thoughtless, he is not conscious of his fault, so it does not matter much to him, but a thoughtful person is to be pitied if he cannot control himself owing to the lack of will.

The activities in the worldly life cause many disturbances, and it is a constant jarring effect upon a sensitive soul. If one does not develop tolerance in nature, one is always subject to constant disturbances in life. To wish to live in the world and to be annoyed with its activities is like wanting to live in the sea and be constantly resisting its waves. This life of the world, full of different activities constantly working, has much in it to be despised, if one has a tendency to despise. But at the same time there is much to admire if one turns one's face from left to right. It is in our own power to choose the view of imperfection or the vision of perfection, and the difference is only looking down, or looking upwards. By a slight change of attitude in one's outlook on life one can make the world into heaven or hell. The more one tolerates, the stronger one becomes in this way. It is the tolerant who is thoughtful. And as thought becomes greater, one becomes more tolerant. The words of Christ, 'Resist not evil', teach tolerance.

from  https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XIII/XIII_19.htm

Tolerance is the sign of an evolved soul, for a soul shows the proof of its evolution in the degree of the tolerance it shows. The life in the lower creation shows the lack of tolerance. ... As one evolves spiritually so a person seems to rise above this natural tendency of intolerance, for the reason that he begins to see, besides himself and the second person, God; and he unites himself with the other person in God. ... But when a soul has evolved still more, tolerance becomes the natural thing for him. Because the highly evolved soul then begins to realize 'Another person is not separate from me, but the other person is myself. The separation is on the surface of life, but in the depth of life I and the other person are one.'

from  https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XIII/XIII_21.htm

~~~ In order to learn forgiveness, man must first learn tolerance.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2023 11:07 am »

I don't take offense Steve, all good. Your article is shit and unamusing.

Your opinion seems skewed too. Let me first remind you, this thread is your creation.

So, your school principle said you needed a haircut- and you and your mother refused. So you were expelled? It sounds like a good thing for you, to be removed from such a situation. You aren't a victim. And there are consequences to various institutions. I didn't say whether that was right or wrong. On the other hand, you were at one point mentioning you'd be a willing soldier in war to fight for Ukraine.

So what are you going to do when the military says its time to cut your hair or wear a uniform? Refuse?

You've made a stink about dress code, next time you post something I think is shit I will respond with this:

Then I can have a good laugh and you can continue to post your shit. You say you aren't flinging mud but look at this hippo.

As Iqbal says:

I was the traveler,

Eric; thanks for providing the 10 principles of Sufism above.

I simply ask this Eric; I read the 10 guidelines above for Sufism that you stated. If we read together #5 above does it fit in with your statement that my article is ‘shit’?
I agree there are consequences to certain institutions Eric. I was in public schools at the time. I was there because I was put there by our government. Yes I could have quit but tell me where would I have gone to school if I had done that?

And how bout principle #5? A ‘sense of awakened justice’ ? Is there a sense of awakened justice in telling people and in this case kids how long and in what way their hair needs to be combed? How does your statement above that i ‘can continue to post your shit’ fit in with #10 above;

There is One Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality, in which resides all perfection. The tone of your statements just don’t resonate with the principles of Sufism from my point of view. Yet I do appreciate your taking the time to explain them here, and their timeless wisdom. Because as you stated below Eric;

Furthermore, and more importantly; is there a sense of awakened justice in telling people what clothes they should be wearing and in the case of Marjorie Green; her telling people how they should dress when these people were elected by their district and not hers? What right does she have to do so? Yet she attempted to do so. How does her views unite the uniqueness of others? Number 6 above….
There is One Brotherhood, the human brotherhood which unites the children of earth indiscriminately in the Fatherhood of God.

I particularly love this principle:

There is One Moral, the love which springs forth from self-denial and blooms in deeds of beneficence. (#7)

I also find the quotes by inayat Khan worth studying here and implementing in our lives, which I pointed out in an earlier post in this thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2023 12:13 pm by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest587
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2023 04:46 pm »

Cheesy Yes you have pointed out many things. Now how's about some more points? It's a pointy system after all!

Steve, MTG- Trump, Putin. The truth is, these are Gods children too- and there is too much we don't know to say we know them. We read our propaganda, we assess a situation, and/or we make our judgements with regards to our personal experience. It doesn't mean we see clearly. It doesn't mean we know Truth. Notice, we. This means my self included. I am not saying right or wrong. You are right to feel the way you do- but the irony here is you are asking me to give others freedom while continually trying to force your point and attitudes on me. You've made your points ad nauseam. 

Brother I can not continue humoring your ruminations. There is a point when we have to ask if our obsessive thoughts are working towards actual problem solving and revelation, or are we running in circles?

Now I will continue to post hippos flinging their dung around because I find it pretty funny, and apparently it's the easiest way for me to voice a disagreement without having to drag things out. I say that because it looks like I can't just say- I like MTG and pray for her success without having to run a few laps in these other threads on your forum. See, this thread was free from mentions of political leaders until you brought it here. And my initial reply? Well my initial reply was in a thread you created. It's ok that you wish to carry discussions on here but realize you are talking to me directly and asking my participation. At some point I may choose not to participate. I think dress code is good- we should not wear pajamas in a courthouse, or shorts so short we can see private parts. You should not dress like a slob and call yourself a representative. I'm okay that you think differently. That's the unique thing about you.

There are some other things I think you should know. I have tried to call you to address these issues head on- I think giving you the chance to gather additional data you can not possibly retrieve from a forum would prove useful. In the spirit of trying to make peace I do not think it would be appropriate for me to share those concerns here. If you ever find the courage to return my call, know I am willing to listen to what you have to say and share in a respectful manner.  At a certain point we must realize we are all operating from Ego and give it to God. We are not operating from the selfless conscience- I don't think we can speak about awakened justice. Now we've both made plenty of points. It seems we are not denying ourselves either, hmm?

Please, feel free to continue to defame MTG- just know that I don't think either of us sees the other. You can call me if you have a personal issue, otherwise make peace that we are different and prepare for the occasional hippo with regards to your political rantings. Cheesy I don't mind you Steve- we are free to disagree.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2023 01:23 am »

My answer is that as long as you use vulgarity on our site, and our influenced by the mudslinging of such people as Donald Trump and the forceful arm twisting of people like  Marjorie Green who wants to set standards of dress code for everyone else, I will point out the poison their influence brings to this site. Nobody is talking about wearing clothes that ‘show are private parts’ or wearing ‘pajamas in a court room’ you know that is a gross exaggeration.

Eric these people are the people that got me jailed with a hefty fine and lied about me as they lied about the elections, linched me and attempted to make me into a permanent criminal. I have brought up the values of inayat khan and his values apply to the world as well as us. I think he had good ideas so I applied them to modern times and situations.

Must i quote your vulgarity to prove my points here? Such talk would never be allowed in a monastery or place of worship, yet you use it freely here.

Cheesy Yes you have pointed out many things. Now how's about some more points? It's a pointy system after all!

Steve, MTG- Trump, Putin. The truth is, these are Gods children too- and there is too much we don't know to say we know them. We read our propaganda, we assess a situation, and/or we make our judgements with regards to our personal experience. It doesn't mean we see clearly. It doesn't mean we know Truth. Notice, we. This means my self included. I am not saying right or wrong. You are right to feel the way you do- but the irony here is you are asking me to give others freedom while continually trying to force your point and attitudes on me. You've made your points ad nauseam. 

Brother I can not continue humoring your ruminations. There is a point when we have to ask if our obsessive thoughts are working towards actual problem solving and revelation, or are we running in circles?

Now I will continue to post hippos flinging their dung around because I find it pretty funny, and apparently it's the easiest way for me to voice a disagreement without having to drag things out. I say that because it looks like I can't just say- I like MTG and pray for her success without having to run a few laps in these other threads on your forum. See, this thread was free from mentions of political leaders until you brought it here. And my initial reply? Well my initial reply was in a thread you created. It's ok that you wish to carry discussions on here but realize you are talking to me directly and asking my participation. At some point I may choose not to participate. I think dress code is good- we should not wear pajamas in a courthouse, or shorts so short we can see private parts. You should not dress like a slob and call yourself a representative. I'm okay that you think differently. That's the unique thing about you.

There are some other things I think you should know. I have tried to call you to address these issues head on- I think giving you the chance to gather additional data you can not possibly retrieve from a forum would prove useful. In the spirit of trying to make peace I do not think it would be appropriate for me to share those concerns here. If you ever find the courage to return my call, know I am willing to listen to what you have to say and share in a respectful manner.  At a certain point we must realize we are all operating from Ego and give it to God. We are not operating from the selfless conscience therefore I don't think we can speak about awakened justice. There, now we've both made plenty of points. It seems we are not denying ourselves either, hmm?

Please feel free to continue to defame MTG- just know that I don't think either of us sees the other. You can call me if you have a personal issue, otherwise make peace that we are different and prepare for the occasional hippo with regards to your political rantings. Cheesy I don't mind you Steve- we are free to disagree.

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2023 02:00 am by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest587
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2023 06:10 am »

Must i quote your vulgarity to prove my points here?

You mean you haven't already?  Cheesy Sorry, seems I couldn't help myself!  Grin I rate this two hippos. And I hope they take the edge off!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: