Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 05:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Mockingbird

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mockingbird  (Read 300 times)
guest88
« on: Jun 23, 2018 04:38 am »

For some time now I have taken the mockingbird as a personal totem and even associate his spirit with Inayat Khan's. The mockingbird follows me around and I noticed one when arriving to my hotel the other day for visiting Amma.

The mockingbird from what I've seen is a very protective bird with the ability to make beautiful calls and in essence speak in tongues.
I've been considering getting a tatoo and will have one of the mockingbird with the sufi symbol. =)

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2018 09:16 am »

Mockingbirds are mythologically important birds in many Native American cultures. In the creation myths of the Hopi and other Pueblo tribes, it was Mockingbird who first taught the people to speak. In Shasta Indian mythology, Mockingbird is the guardian of the dead. To Southeast Indian tribes, the mockingbird is a symbol of intelligence; the Cherokees used to give children mockingbird heads to eat out of the belief that it would make them clever. The Maricopa considered the mockingbird a medicine animal, and dreaming of a mockingbird was a sign that a person had been given special powers. In O'odham (Papago and Pima) folklore, Mockingbird plays the role of a mediator.
http://www.native-languages.org/legends-mockingbird.htm
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2018 09:28 am »

It is apparent to me why my murshid takes the form of a mockingbird. He was a great musician after all!

Also the very message of Sufism, to seek God in the heart of man. One of its principles- a tolerance for all religions. This bird is able to produce the very essence of other birds- mimicking their song. All paths lead to the One. Yogananda says true religion is ones intuition! Here in one bird is my murshid able to reach to the hearts of many- by reaching to them in notes they are accustomed- each note, as true as the other! Leading me to God! My heart is lifted with understanding and appreciation! Thank you Lord! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

--------------------
"Mockingbirds are best known for their ability to mimic other birds. They continue to add songs to their repertoire throughout their lives. According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, a male mockingbird may learn 200 songs in his lifetime. In addition to bird songs, mockingbirds have been heard to mimic frogs, insects and even non-animal noises."
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2021 06:51 pm »

Sometimes I wonder why I naturally find meaning from something even at the plight of innocence. Maybe it is my lack of understanding and selfish tendencies. I was a bit mad at my self for finding a bit of humor in parallels with my life to that of an unfortunate incident for two baby mockingbirds. These baby birds fell out of their nest, they were nestlings for certain, and I was walking the dogs. I had a leash in each hand with a 60 and 75lbs dalmatian attached to each one. The girl dog spotted the nestlings first. I quickly tugged her leash to pull her away from near devouring this innocent bird. I sat there for a good 10 minutes watching these helpless babies gently move and fall about in the grass. I noticed my Spirit Guide- the adult sized mockingbird in a tree off to my right. I could not find a nest and I did not know what to do. I felt rather helpless.

It's a dog-eat-dog world sometimes, a man walked by and inquired to what I was doing. I told him there were baby birds here in the grass that had fallen out of their nest. "So they have," he says- keeping his distance. "Well the cats will eat them" and like that he had lost interest and walked away. So strange. Maybe my city living has created this naivity in me, maybe there is a message here about learning to accept and appreciate the brutality of nature. If I can be of better help for these poor creatures in a future scenario- I'd like Universe to show me how...

Well I had two house guest over last night and had to kick them out this morning. Much like the two baby birds fallen out of their nest, they both were tired and hurting from the night before. I think we all had three hours of sleep- I had a cookout and offered cocktails. I'm not sure if this is related but prior to this experience I was having serious insights to practicing boundaries, understanding independence and reflecting on my relationship with my last lover. 

I was a bit sickened for trying to find meaning out of this but- whenever I see the mockingbird I do believe there is a greater message. Perhaps there are times we shouldn't just be mere observers, if we can help it. Maybe it is terribly selfish how I am finding parallels- or maybe it is just a part of the human experience. Because I have acknowledged with the Universe the mockingbird as a personal guide- the bird almost always appears at times of serious introspection, gut-check intuitive stuff and other surreal moments leaving me in wonder.  The Sufi association is appropriate with this bird, because of its ability to mimic. I see it like the one God living through all these different rays of light(you and I). And another personable message about the mockingbird is its fierce home-styled loyalty/protection. They will fight predator birds and can be a bit bullish when protecting their home. The mystics home is in the Heart.

Anyways. This was such a unique experience, I felt inclined to share.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2021 03:03 am »

The mockingbird, my Sufi friend, was in the parking lot feasting on an apple.

Spirit is alive...........  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: