Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 03:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Simulations of God

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simulations of God  (Read 389 times)
ding dong

« on: Dec 27, 2016 02:40 am »

Somewhat timely considering our recent conversations, this is one of the books I got as a Christmas gift. I have been wanting to read it for a long time. I got interested in John Lilly when I discovered him through the Thinking Allowed interview I found on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.com/Simulations-God-Science-Belief-Timeless/dp/1579511570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482799059&sr=8-1&keywords=simulations+of+god

John Lilly speaking to an audience, it sounds like:

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016 07:33 am »

Hope you share some your findings.
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
ding dong

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016 07:56 am »

I have made my way through the prologues and introductions by others and have now arrived at a note to the reader wherein he says that, "...I had to write this book, it was written through me, not by me. It was written forced draft, as if under orders from some known source." Right off the bat I find this hard to digest, but am prepared to leave it to one side and not be put off by it. After all, this book is all about examining beliefs. One of my beliefs going into this book is that I already have a pretty good grasp of the points he is going to make.
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016 11:51 pm »

If any of y'all are waiting to hear my thoughts about this book, I want to let you know that there is an

Introduction by a colleague
Preface
Foreword
Note to the reader
Prologue
Preface
Introduction by the author

I am just now arriving at the final introduction. There are already some interesting things that I'm sure I will want to write about here. For example, he opens the book by talking suggesting that "it was written through" him, which seems to me to be a form of imagination if not grandeur. Although he is the author of the book, he claims that "these writings are quite inexplicable." However, in the introduction he has begun to break down the different beliefs which could account for his lack of agency, giving various theories about it.

The first belief he gives has to do with reincarnation saying that, "my present incarnation is writing from memories of a previous incarnation" and that "if previous states of being are operative within me, they are below my current levels of awareness." As an alternative to that belief, he suggests that "this writing may come, as in the life of Eileen Garrett, the noted medium, from entities not currently of this physical bodily reality." I can tell you that, although I do not even know who Eileen Garrett is, I put no stock in mediums or mediumship at all. This is my belief which I'm sure there will plenty of opportunity to examine as I go through this book. After all, he says regarding these explanations, "if you feel-think that any or all are 'false', why do you?" I expect there to be a lot of that kind of internal belief examination system examination throughout this book. The third explanation for this writing he offers is that of some other external influence so that "by unknown means some terrestrial, extraterrestrial network of communication (not in our current science, but soon to be) feeds in the information below my levels of awareness." He then reassures the reader that, "in special states of consciousness I have seen this process taking place." Finally, he offers the explanation that I am most inclined to accept - that of his imagination; although the means by which this takes place he says he doesn't understand. He admits that "in certain states of consciousness this process seems real" by which I assume he means the normal, everyday waking state of consciousness that most of us experience most of the time. Maybe it is because I read the book from this very state that this explanation seems most sensible to me? I am sure we will explore this as the book proceeds.

So there it is. I am very interested in this book and hope you will enjoy or at least tolerate my shares about it here.
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016 04:56 am »

As part of my foray into this book, I'm going to watch the movie "Altered States" tonight. I've never seen it before, but it is loosely based on John Lilly with - as can be seen from the trailer - a departure into horror and drama. The movie is circa 1980 and was nominated for two Academy Awards - one for best sound and the other for best original score. I don't expect the plot to stick too closely to Lilly's actual life or experiments. I'll let you know how it goes.

Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016 05:13 am »

So, I didn't realize this, but the movie is actually based off of a novel based on John Lilly's experiments in the isolation tank. It turns out that the author of the book, Paddy Chayefsky - also the scriptwriter - disowned the film and had his name taken off of it due to the general tone. He and the director fought all throughout the making of the film. I learned this because when you rent a movie from Amazon, they offer bits of trivia about it.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2016 05:13 am by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2016 08:12 am »

Over half way through the movie now. It quickly descends into horror with the doctor, assumed insane by those around him, turning into a raging ape-man. The thinly veiled suggestion being that drugs devolve people into lesser forms. This is surely in keeping with the time in which the movie was made as the cultural hysteria about and condemnation of drugs was probably peaking.

It will probably just be retro horror from here on out. Glad I watched it, though. It has some good parts.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2016 01:00 am »

Since I have not read this book I may be off the subject in some of my remarks. Most people simulate their own behavioral models to some degree. If not in other humans then in models of God. We all have are heroes. Many of us live vicariously through them. Maybe even to the degree that we have no life of our own or a life has been identified with someone else's. For instance there have been 'saints' who experienced and lived out episodes of Christ's life and Jonn Hinkle's identification with John Lennon.

It seems to me that we are looking for something meaningful that will take us into some kind of expanded reality. People do it thru drugs, sex, music, dance, eating, alchohol, deprivations, identifying with other people and various forms of excitement. If these prove to be cheap thrills with no lasting results we shy away from them. There are Masters who can help with more lasting experiences that change our consciousness permanently in some way. Their methods are not usually as immediate in results but more satisfactory in the long run. For most of us we are unable to assess where they are at or if they are indeed part of God and they know it. We are just grateful for their help. It is no use debating about such subjects as 'God' since it is such a subjective experience and anyone who does not believe in physical evidence can choose to explain such phenomena anyway they choose to 'write it off'. I know this because I have had people try to explain my spiritual experiences. Everyone explains events from their own mindsets, backgrounds and beliefs.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2016 03:44 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
ding dong

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am »

I finished it yesterday. But I haven't felt inspired to write much about it here since. It was an enjoyable read for me.

It is more or less an overview of the programs that the human race operates under. It takes the view of the brain and mind as hardware and software.

He ends with a mention of the belief system that his marriage is based on, which he says he feels able to drop his usually skepticism about. I found this...interesting.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2017 11:23 am by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: