Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 04:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

olives

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: olives  (Read 397 times)
guest88
« on: Jul 13, 2013 08:51 am »

any comment or opinion on eating olive pits ? .-. >_<
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2013 04:06 pm »

dreamkeeper ~ How in the world did you come up with that question ?  Shocked
You can't be serious, are you ?  Tongue

I really can't see any benefit to eating an olive pit, first off say good bye to your teeth !
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2013 05:42 am »

.-. used to chew them up but the roommates suggest i stop
Tongue not sure if there's much nutritional value but once you crack the pit open the center releases a warm drop of liquid.
i can't seem to find much about it online though

Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2022 01:51 am »

To the initial post... I used to eat the pits because I was told by someone that eats raw that seeds and pits are powerful and healthy.

Today I went to Whole Foods. I don't normally shop there anymore one reason being because it's so expensive. There are healthy food stores that are smaller and provide just as large a variety and quality. Although supporting farmers directly is the best choice. Still, that can be expensive too...

Anyways!  Cheesy I saw the olive bar and was compelled to buy some. I only meant to get a few, but my nostalgic memory and incredible hunger drove me to fill 'er up!

I come home to enjoy... WHOA! So salty! Oh my god I don't remember them being so salty...

I did a littleeee research...

Why So Salty? Even Organic Low Sodium Olives Are Bad For You
Just eating 3 of these olives gives you more sodium than what a large order of McDonald’s fries has, which is 290 mg. Even if you add ketchup, the fries are still less.

Are olives unhealthy?
Often times, yes, they are absolutely terrible for you. Now that is something you will almost never hear anyone say.

Instead, everyone is raving about their health benefits and how good they are for you. Allegedly.

Depending on the variety, 80 to 85% of the calories are coming from fat content. That’s even higher than most nuts, which are often around 70%.

Now just because something is fattening, that doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy. In fact, fats are a requirement in your diet. But we don’t need a whole lot and any excess is a problem for people who struggle with weight loss.

Taken from,
https://superfoodly.com/why-so-salty-organic-low-sodium-olives-are-bad-for-you/

3 olives a serving! Whatttttt?? Give it a read and let me know what you think! For those interested of course.  Wink

Well, thank god I have this beautiful oven marinated onion and garlic in a sumptuous stew just waiting to be enjoyed! Bye bye for now  Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2022 05:41 pm »

Yes, the excessive salt in some olives is a problem.

Otherwise, that's a good source of healthy fats, which means energy. They are monounsaturated fats, which are not detrimental to blood lipids (cholesterol). There are some healthy specific nutrients though, like oleic acid and the olive polyphenols, the secoiridoids specifically. There is a ton of scientific literature on the health benefits of olives and olive oil (EVOO= extra virgin olive oil).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: