Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 03:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Avidya/Ego

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Avidya/Ego  (Read 1647 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm »

One of the sadest things to encounter in others, when we r on the spiritual path, is ego. It is possessive, territorial and exclusive instead of inclusive. It seeks power because at the roots of it are deep insecurities. It demands that reality stay the way it is. There is a loss of growth and spiritual expansiveness when ego rears its ugly head. It is an identification with matter. It is felt as a coldness and a need to control others.

When u drive down the street you see payment, dirt and rocks. Ego is an identification with matter and a belief that it is the only thing that exists. It has has no understanding of higher dimensions and of experiences spiritual. As one progresses spiritually they begin to recognize ego. Someone can have great wealth or power on this earth but be totally infintile, spiritually speaking, because they see everything thru ego and material consiousness.

u may have your own way of deiscribing it. This is mine. Many people do not understand it and cannot
identify it. But it is a deterent to spiritual growth and progress and we need to recognize it. To those who have some degree of sensitivity to ego; we retreat and try to escape from those who manifest ego. Because it is an ugly blemish on the human soul. We all have it, but some much more than others. This is just a beginning on this subject. Ego has so many manifestations that much can be said about it.

Jitendra

P.S. Yes Yoshi your description is your own and it to is all ego. Ego binds us to this earth plain. It manifests as some of the qualities u mention below. It creates hate, envy and negativity because it has a desire for material objects and makes everything into material objects instead of spiritual manifestations.

my posts are not all in frustration.

can u feel hate ?  can u feel envy ? can u feel negativity ?

i used to be able to feel my ex husband miles away before he actually walked thru the door.

it is a yucky type of feeling.   i feel them when i am in a crowd of people.

i believe that john koffy, from the green mile, describes it as shards of glass.....

i describe it as 'pin pricks'....

<IS THAT EGO ??>

(((Love&Hugs&OM))
yoshi

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2022 06:12 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
yoshi

« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2013 04:59 am »

ya....seems u had better make better words to ones responses !   Shocked   Roll Eyes 
Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2013 07:35 am »

ya....seems u had better make better words to ones responses !   Shocked   Roll Eyes 

Perhaps i did not understand your question. You have asked: "Is that ego?" What do you think the pin pricks from envy, hate and negativity are if not ego? You said you felt your husband miles away and you "i feel them when i am in a crowd of people". Is it something else you r feeling than ego from others? . "seems u better make better words to your responses!" u say. i am rather confused! Your words seem rather clear that you are saying that you experienced these things around and from others. Were you really talking about your own ego here  Huh? i said above "u may have your own way of describing it. This is mine."

i think we r both talking about the subject of 'ego' in general. Rite? If you r opening a grammer class send me back ass to school! We can all improve our communication skills! Cry i will b sure to attend it. It should b most interesting!   Wink  Grin Hope this is a good start at making better words to ones responses!

In divine understanding

Jitendra

can u feel hate ?  can u feel envy ? can u feel negativity ?

i used to be able to feel my ex husband miles away before he actually walked thru the door.

it is a yucky type of feeling.   i feel them when i am in a crowd of people.

i believe that john koffy, from the green mile, describes it as shards of glass.....

<IS THAT EGO ??>

(((Love&Hugs&OM))
yoshi

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013 08:41 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013 04:31 pm »

Now that i have quoted you and it appears that you were refering to your experience with ego in others:  Let us look at my response. It is below this paragraph. Were you not speaking of the ego you encounter in others? Below i respond that ego manifests as the qualities that u mention below and that yes the description is your own (unique) and yes it is all ego since you asked "is that ego"?  i would appreciate an answer as to where i could have used a better choice of words and how? Communication can b difficult but we/i can always improve at it without letting misunderstandings hang in the air like a dark cloud.

Thank You Yoshi

Steve
  Huh?  Undecided

P.S. Yes Yoshi your description is your own and it to is all ego. Ego binds us to this earth plain. It manifests as some of the qualities u mention below. It creates hate, envy and negativity because it has a desire for material objects and makes everything into material objects instead of spiritual manifestations.

can u feel hate ?  can u feel envy ? can u feel negativity ?

it is a yucky type of feeling.   i feel them when i am in a crowd of people.

<IS THAT EGO ??>

(((Love&Hugs&OM))
yoshi

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2013 10:09 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
yoshi

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013 03:40 pm »

jitendra wrote:
""...P.S. Yes Yoshi your description is your own and it to is all ego...""

one could interept that response as u saying that my description came from my ego. many of your responses seem to have hinted that same thing.

jai guru

bn

Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
yoshi

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2013 05:31 pm »

w0w  Shocked   seems we are out of sync.

jai guru
yoshi
Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2013 05:42 pm »

jai guru
yoshi

These phones r so small that it is easy to press remove
instead of modify. We are out of sync? i would say we
have learned much from each other and have experienced
much and so where do we go from here? Kindness and
understanding take people to wonderful places!
Most of what reality is for us is determined by how
we interpret what is said and what is experienced.

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2013 06:40 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
flying squirrel

"in the state of wonderment"

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2013 08:01 pm »

jai guru
yoshi

understatement of the year award .... goes to yoshi !!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
yoshi

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013 01:49 am »

LOL...yes, definately an understatement, squirrel.

squirrel...ironing out misinterpretations / misunderstandings is a good thing. 

too bad countries could not do the same...wars could be prevented.   Huh?

from what i have seen...this is 'bland' compared to some other spiritual sites.....

jai guru
yoshi
Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2013 06:24 pm »

Some people live in their heads and not in their hearts. This is ego too! To what degree do we live in the kingdom of our hearts? And... to what degree are we fragmented living a life separate from physical reality in a place created by our own mind and ego? For some people life is a battle and a struggle to be rite. This is a result of power struggles with their own ego and the ego of others. Sometimes it is OK to let these kind of people win. They need to. They are so used to loosing and we all need to feel good about ourselves from time to time.

Call it ego if you woud like but without a sense of self esteem life becomes a constant struggle with others. We can claim any amount of spirituality that we would like. However what is obvious to others may not be obvious to ourselves. It is not important to always be right. It is much more important to be kind and show love to others.

Jitendra

Let Go of the Ego and its Destructive Tendencies

We're going to be describing the ego in terms of a metaphor which will allow us to both visualize the effects of using the ego in the world, as well as understand the necessity for surrendering the ego.

The ego is simply a tool, an automatic duality-creating machine which allows us to experience every possible aspect of life.

Now the problem is not so much that the ego itself exists, but the fact that people are identified with it.

The ego has a useful purpose: to allow us to believe that illusions are a reality and thus experience both the real and the illusionary. The ego is simply a tool.

It's similar to someone using a hammer. When a nail needs to be nailed into a wall, a hammer is certainly a very useful tool. So, people find that it benefits them to use the hammer and thus they pick it up and use it to their advantage. Cool. No problem.

It's very clear that while you're using the hammer, the hammer is not YOU, but simply a tool that you are using with which to engage in the process of creation.

The "problem" is that most people think that they literally ARE the hammer and that there is nothing else they can be, so they continue hammering in every activity in life: while talking to others, having sex with a partner, dealing with foreign politics, resolving disagreements, even in talking to themselves!

...and then people wonder why the world is in the shape that it's in.

If people would simply set down their hammer when the tool was not required, the world would be a much more peaceful and loving place.

As the saying goes, "To a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

There will come a time when people discover, "Hey wait a second, perhaps this hammer isn't so useful in this situation afterall. Let's set it down for a moment, quit swinging this thing, and see if we can deal with this situation without using the hammer. Perhaps people won't get hurt in the end. hmmm..."

Much to their surprise, it turns out that problems can be solved without the hammer, without bringing the ego into the mix.

With experience and understanding, people can learn to deal with one another without having a dangerous hammer swinging all over the place while communicating.

All it takes to come back to a place of peace and harmony is the conscious choice to set down the hammer and bring in another energy, the energy of Love.

One of the coolest parts about Love is that once the hammer is set down, all the Love in the world arises automatically. It is effortless, joyous, blissful, and automatic.

My invitation to you is to set down your hammer. Surrender attachments to your ego. You truly don't need it to operate in a healthy manner. It served its purpose, you've experienced using it, and you don't need it to create a world full of Love. If anything, the hammer is actually detrimental to Love.

When you feel the urge to pick up the hammer, that is, you notice the ego arise within you, set it down and release it.

(There are times when using the hammer is appropriate, but it is beneficial to determine when such a time is. For example, the mind can be an excellent tool for solving math problems.)

Usually it will seem almost as if the hammer has a mind of its own, as if it literally JUMPS back into your hand and possesses your arm to make itself swing wildly. This is actually not so far from the truth of how your ego operates.

The ego will try to possess you, to take you over, and then claim that it IS you.

It takes a conscious decision to surrender the ego and the pleasure it gets from "juicing" the negative aspects of life, especially when the ego tries possess you and claim that it IS you. This decision to surrender the ego is made over and over again, moment by moment. It is accomplished by shifting your sense of identity from the personal "me" to the infinite awareness that simply observes.

Gradually the ego will start to lose its grip on you as you simply watch the ego do its thing non-judgmentally, without actually believing that the ego is you.

However, there will be times when the ego gets especially strong and feels overwhelmingly powerful. This is normal and to be expected. The path of spiritual evolution is not a straight path. There are many twists and turns and zigs and zags along the spiritual seeker's journey towards unconditional love and enlightenment. There will be highs and there will be lows. Knowing this fact in advance will save you lots of guilt when the lows strike and the ego will make you think, "Yikes, maybe I'm actually not as evolved as I thought I was."

When this happens, simply watch the ego churn inside of you. Watch the beliefs and emotions get all worked up inside. Watch the hammer attempting to take control of your arm and swing itself wildly. Just watch it without thinking that you are the hammer, without thinking that you are the thoughts, beliefs, emotions, opinions, judgments, or mood swings. Allow the energy to express itself and subsequently be released. Allow this to happen without resistance, without trying to stop it, stifle it, or even say it's somehow bad or wrong. Just allow the energy to flow through you and out.

You are the awareness that is observing the hammer. You are the awareness that is observing the ego.

So watch it. Study it. Notice how it works. Then you can surrender it. You can let it go. You can set the hammer down and realize that it's truly not necessary to use the hammer in order to live a life filled with Love, Peace, and Joy.

In fact, it is the ego itself, and the identification with it, that is damaging and destructive to life. When the hammer is set down, when the ego is surrendered, life becomes a constant creation of boundless Love, infinite Joy, and exquisite Ecstasy.

All it takes is setting down the hammer. 

Ariel Bravy is a spiritual teacher guiding people along the pathway to enlightenment to open themselves up to unconditional love by raising their level of consciousness.

Expert Author Ariel Bravy

Some people live in their heads and not in their hearts. This is ego too!To what degree do we live in the kingdome of our hearts? And... to what degree are we frafmented living a life separate from physical reality in a place created by our own mind and ego?
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2013 07:08 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
yoshi

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013 04:17 am »

Some people live in their heads and not in their hearts. This is ego too!

UMMM...DERR....this is what i have been saying so all along.  head=EGO.
Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2013 09:26 pm »

Some people live in their heads and not in their hearts. This is ego too!

UMMM...DERR....this is what i have been saying so all along.  head=EGO.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one.

Albert Einstien
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2013 09:28 pm by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2017 02:01 pm »

President Donald Trump once said: “Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser.”

What it means to 'gain the world and lose your soul' as Jesus said25For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of Man will come in His Father’s glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done

Those who act in ego do not go beyond karma. It is only by Guru's Grace that one is rid of ego

Sri Guru Granth Sahib quotes

When the body is filled with ego and selfishness, the cycle of birth and death does not end (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 126).

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2017 02:31 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2017 02:47 pm »

President Donald Trump once said: “Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser.”

There is one Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality and in which resides all perfection.

Hazrat Inayat Khan
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2017 02:55 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2017 03:25 pm »

There is one Path, the annihilation of the false ego in the real, which raises the mortal to immortality and in which resides all perfection.

Hazrat Inayat Khan

Legitimizing ego and rewarding it is a false aspiration of western society. Hazrat Inayat Khan talks of
 the annihilation of the false ego above and how it benefits us spiritually speaking. Yet we now have a foolish president who not only encourages ego but flaunts it.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: