Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

long meditations

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: long meditations  (Read 1378 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Nov 24, 2012 04:39 am »

Paramahansa Yogananda recommended 3 to 6 hour meditations once a week.  You are indeed fortunate if you're around other people that are willing to take that long to commune with God and reinforce your efforts with their spiritual vibration.
'Where two or more are gathered in my name, there I shall be also.'

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012 05:56 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012 12:02 pm »

What is the benefit of such long meditations that a series of short meditations cannot do ?

It should be the quality of the meditation, not the quantity (length) of it, that counts.

Nitewish 
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012 04:42 pm »

What is the benefit of such long meditations that a series of short meditations cannot do ?

It should be the quality of the meditation, not the quantity (length) of it, that counts.

Nitewish 

When i was a kid i used to like to shake up these
water scenes and the snow would go fly'n.
Or put sand in a bottle with water shale it
up and then watch it settle. quite often it
would take quite a while for it to settle.

in the same way our minds are stirred up by thoughts
emtions and restlessness. it generally takes quite a while
to settle down the mind and the thoughts. if you ever watch coffee drip
into a coffee maker you will see that each drip
 causes ripples across the surface. Thus even when we do start to settle
down our mind any given thought will cause ripples
across our consciousness.

so it takes practice practice practice. this practice can easily go on all day.
but yes short periods of practice are also beneficial.

Sometime we may have to clean out a storage area or garage
Perhaps we know someone  to help us to provide quality time.
 Grin they may know how to organize things better. I just happen
to know an entity called elfum and another entity who goes by
the name nitewish. They would fit such a description.

And so it is with meditation.
if we have good techniques and the help of a master
it will help to settle our mind down quicker

So it is good to have  a series of short meditations
and a long one from time to time as well.
In this way we can benefit in different ways
that a series of quality short meditations
will provide; and the benefit of long
 meditations to give us more time
to get depth of practice . We work
towards quality time in both short
and long meditation.

P.S.

Whether we dribble or consnible
one such as yourself will be delghtfully
indiscribably ready for darshan
because of our double packed practice!
Ahh such memories of meditations
together!

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012 06:55 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2012 08:40 pm »

you don't say , lol !  Grin

My thoughts are not restless, they sleep well at night  Cheesy
so a short meditation is all I need

those long ones seem like a football cheer ~ " stand up, sit down, energize "  Grin

..... dodge the restless thoughts....

drift off to sleep ,
in the middle of those oh sooooooooooooooo long meditations
..........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

then do it again, and again and again

Variety is the spice of life  Cheesy the secret ingredient 

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012 08:42 pm by Nitewish » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm »

Thought this might be interesting to you. Mukunda was Paramahansa Yogananada's childhood name:

Mukunda's meditations were not what one might expect of a little boy. For one thing, he would often meditate for long hours—seven, eight at a time. As he told me, "I would practice Hong-Sau (a meditation technique) for seven hours at a time, until I went breathless." For another, he often had extraordinary visions.

He told himself, however, "Some day I must have a really long meditation. After all, what are seven or eight hours—out of a twenty-four hour day? Don't people work that long merely to supply their material needs?"

One morning Mukunda awoke with the thought, "A whole year has passed. And still I haven't fulfilled the promise I made to myself! Will a long meditation always wait until 'tomorrow'? Why not today? Why not this very morning?"

He sat down for meditation. Forty-eight whole hours passed. To Mukunda, they seemed more like forty-eight minutes. During a part of that ecstatic period, his body rose above the ground in levitation.

At last he returned to the pandemonium of this bustling world: the sounds of servants at their household chores; the voices of family members in the rooms below; the hubbub of people's voices in the streets, and the noise of traffic outside. This cacophony invaded his ears discordantly, though it could not disturb his inner peace. In the passageway to the kitchen he met the cook—the same one, perhaps, whose hand he had stuck to the wall. This faithful servant had for many years been suffering from a pain in his back. Mukunda touched him, and the man was instantly healed.

It was lunchtime. Mukunda's family members were seated Indian fashion on straw mats around the dining room floor. They had paid scant attention to Mukunda's absence of two days. They knew he liked to meditate, and left it at that.

Mukunda now joined them. While he ate, he was conscious of a transcendent detachment from everything. Looking up at one point, he noticed Bodi, the wife of Ananta (Mukunda's older brother), regarding him curiously. Bodi, like Ananta, had never approved of what they both considered Mukunda's "religious fanaticism." Smiling inwardly, Mukunda thought, "Let me have a little fun with them all, especially with Bodi!"

Withdrawing his consciousness partially from the body, he returned a little bit to the complete inwardness he had experienced scarcely half an hour earlier. His body, suddenly deprived of energy, fell silently backward to the floor. Bodi uttered a frightened cry. Quickly she stepped over and felt his pulse. There was no heartbeat. The rest of the family, terrified, gathered around the inert form.

The family doctor, frantically summoned, requested that the boy's body be carried to a couch. After careful examination, he pronounced the dreaded verdict: "He's dead."

Bodi looked around her solemnly. "This," she declared, "is what comes of too much yoga practice!"

The rest of the family uttered loving encomiums for this dear child, now lost to them forever.

Present in the room was a maidservant who was much loved by the family; they used to call her "Maid Ma." Maid Ma had served them for many years with an almost motherly devotion. But she would sometimes argue hotly with Mukunda for bringing his friends to the house, in ever-increasing numbers. Now she added her encomiums to those of the rest.

"Alas! though it's true he was mischievous, for all that he was a good boy." Then, disconsolately, she cried, "O Bhagavan (Lord)! now I won't have anyone to fight with anymore!"

Mukunda could contain himself no longer. "Oh, yes you will!" he cried.

"You!" shouted Maid Ma. "I knew you were only playing!" She picked up a broom and, in mock anger, threw it at him.

On another occasion Mukunda remarked to a friend, "People never see God because they never try to see Him."

"Never try! But thousands go every day to the temples. Don't they try?"

"Never sincerely try," Mukunda returned, his smile remote from this world.

"But if God longs to come to mankind, as you've so often told us, can't He quite easily do so when they at least pray to Him, even if not with deep concentration?"

"It isn't that He won't come," Mukunda replied. "Rather, it's that they won't meet Him on His level. Instead, they insist that He come down to theirs. But why should He come to them? He knows that most people only want to argue with Him! There is no room in worldly hearts for His perfect bliss. People are more concerned with their worldly desires than with the pure longing for His love."
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2012 02:11 am »

you don't say , lol !  Grin

My thoughts are not restless, they sleep well at night  Cheesy
so a short meditation is all I need

those long ones seem like a football cheer ~ " stand up, sit down, energize "  Grin

..... dodge the restless thoughts....

drift off to sleep ,
in the middle of those oh sooooooooooooooo long meditations
..........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

then do it again, and again and again

Variety is the spice of life  Cheesy the secret ingredient 

Turn around fair play. Is that the idea? Your too funny. Is it time to laugh now or did i miss my que?  Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012 02:36 am by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012 03:00 am »

Turn around fair play. Is that the idea? Your too funny. Is it time to laugh now or did i miss my que?  Undecided

since when do you need a cue to laugh ? LOL !

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012 04:49 am by Nitewish » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2012 08:10 am »

since when do you need a cue to laugh ? LOL !

O
i like you too much to let you know me that well!  Cool
God created this drama of life to take lightly and
to be able to laugh about our roles and jab
each other in a light and humorous way. Otherwise:
we live in our own prison cells. Sometimes
souls connect spiritually and laugh at
themselves. This shows a child like
relationship with this creation and God.
I believe this is what was meant by:
Be ye like little children.

In all our little refuges we build for ourselves we often imprison our freedom. I'd
rather have long meditations so I make the right choices in life.
It does help you know; spending a lot of time with God.
It is quality time. He looks out for you when you spend time with him.
Friends who bring God into their time together by meditating
and spiritual activity---they spend a lot of quality time together.

Jai Ma!  Om lukah samastha sukinu bhavantu!

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2012 03:02 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
yoshi

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012 03:55 am »

yes one would be fortunate to be around others that have the time for long meditations.

unfortunately...in the world that we are living in at this moment most of us cannot afford to live life and be able to have such long meditations. 

so....between meditations....my mind goes to god.  i try to have a 'constant conversations with god'.

'am i reacting to others as god would to me ?'  etc.....

(((love&hugs&om)))
yoshi
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2012 01:48 pm by yoshi » Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Demian

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2012 11:46 pm »

yes one would be fortunate to be around others that have the time for long meditations.

unfortunately...in the world that we are living in at this moment most of us cannot afford to live life and be able to have such long meditations. 

so....between meditations....my mind goes to god.  i try to have a 'constant conversations with god'.

(((love&hugs&om)))
yoshi

Your fate loves you. One day it will be entirely yours-just as you dream it-if you remain constant to it. Taking refuge in others you will not succeed. Your sign has become obscured but it is still with you
it sears you secretly.

We are not cut off from the outside world; in our thoughts and conversations we often live in the midst of it, only on an entirely different plane. We are not separated from the majority of men by a boundary
but simply by another vision. Our task is  to represent an island in the world, a prototype perhaps, or at least a prospect of a different way of life. When we are isolated for so long, we learn about the
companionship which is posssible between people who have tasted complete loneliness.

We who where the sign might justly be considered "odd" by the world; yes even crazy and dangerous.
We are aware or in the process of becoming aware and our striving is directed toward achieving a more and more complete state of awareness while the striving of others is a quest aimed at binding their opinions, ideals, duties their lives more and more closely with the herd.  Making one more attempt to take refuge among the others is not our destiny.  In this we  will not succeed. Soon your destiny will catch up with you again.

Demian
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 01:04 am by Demian » Report Spam   Logged
yoshi

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2012 01:13 am »

(((love&hugs&om)))
yoshi

Your fate loves you. One day it will be entirely yours-just as you dream it-if you remain constant to it. Taking refuge in others you will not succeed. Your sign has become obscured but it is still with you
it sears you secretly.

We are not cut off from the outside world; in our thoughts and conversations we often live in the midst of it, only on an entirely different plane. We are not separated from the majority of men by a boundary
but simply by another vision. Our task is  to represent an island in the world, a prototype perhaps, or at least a prospect of a different way of life. When we are isolated for so long, we learn about the
companionship which is posssible between people who have tasted complete loneliness.

We who where the sign might justly be considered "odd" by the world; yes even crazy and dangerous.
We are aware or in the process of becoming aware and our striving is directed toward achieving a more and more complete state of awareness while the striving of others is a quest aimed at binding their opinions, ideals, duties their lives more and more closely with the herd. You are making one more attempt to take refuge among the others. But you will not succeed. Soon your destiny will catch up with you again.

Demian

thanks for your post Demian  Smiley 

love&hugs&om
yoshi
Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2012 02:05 pm »

You are good in astrology. Sri   Ranjan is also very good. He learned from a astrologer who can predict when he was standing with sri Ranjan in a hospital that on which number bed which type of patient will arrive. and exactly happens.
No one around sri Ranjan who can learn this. I myself don't  have interest in astrology.

Hi Steve!
I was a  bit  occupied in construction of  Patna Darbar of baba Tajuddin.
It is  nearing completion. Gurudev Sri Ranjan kumar Sinha will be there. I wish you can come sometime
and learn astrology from him.
On 13th nov is festival of lights "deepawali".
prabhat

It seems that my karmic background has brought me here (U.S.) this lifetime. But anything is possible with the Guru's Grace. i never knew i would be this long in the 'holy lands' of southern california where the guru walked, talked and blessed so many for so long! The best thing i can think of at this time is your bringing India to us as you know we treasure anything we can hear about it. You have mentioned deepawali before: i wonder of the origin of this festival?

Sat Nam Prabhatsinha

i noticed you gave the title Gurudev to Sri Ranjan kumar Sinha,
You must have a lot of respect for this man. Is he also your guru?

i have found that it is not easy to get jobs in Southern California in the profession that i am presently in. For some reason the gurus have arranged it so that i can be out here now. i have prayed much about it.
It is not always easy making these kind of decisions in our lives. Some doors have mysteriously closed and opened that have found me presently here. In the same way i have faith that this will happen in the future as well.

i have always had the desire to be around other people who like to meditate alot and for long periods. It is nearly impossible to do this with out the outside influence of others around us who practice what they encourage. We must be very careful about the people we choose, to spend a lot of time around, as friends if we want to make spiritual progress. Long meditation depends on the influence of others around us who want to make the effort. There is always the time; if we choose to make it so. If we have the spiritual desire God and Guru can and will provide.

At one time of my life it was very important to be around astrologers and musicians and that is what encouraged talents in that direction. i still enjoy the presence of such people. However: Now it is more and more important to be around spiritual people to encourage those efforts.

People do not realize until much later in life that the influences of people we choose to surround ourselves with determine our life destiny. Most people are carried along on the tides of their karmic background and the influences that seem to randomly come in our lives. Then they say they are being realistic; not realizing that all along they have choosen the path where they find themselves in life.

Yet among these people who come in our lives we often have the unique opportunity to be in the presence of those who can help us in a spiritual sense. Many times we loose these opportunities because of 'practical concerns' which in reality is a mindset we have choosen that limits our progress.
It is quite apparent to me that God and Guru can provide in miraculous ways, if we have the desire
and faith that God provides and to help us do something or be among certain people.

What is happening in the west, which has been transported all over the world is the development of material comfort. This ease of comfort and mass communication will continue for a time but will never approach the science of the soul which India has given to the world. The United States, for the most part, is infantile in its approach to religion basing most of religion on belief and faith. These are O.K. but cannot give the proof and the answers to life's spiritual questions without the science of meditation that India has given us. 

Can you imagine a culture that is asked; what is your contribution to the world and the answer would be material progress. It is quite evident that this material progress was based on the use of of third world resources and labor. What kind of contribution to mankind is this if it does not include a sense of humanity? So i am interested in the people you are meeting in India and would like to hear more. We as a nation must realize that we are only beginning to gain an appreciation of other cultures and their contributions to mankind. From such arrogance has come a sense of humility and
recognition that we are faced with the problems that created our civilization. That is misplaced priorities.

Thank-You

Prabhatsinha

In Divine Friendship

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2012 03:40 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
prabhatsinha

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2012 07:48 pm »

I thought you are quite free to roam the world.

my lineage is  of lahiri mahasaya.

this world is made of our desires.  my existence is due to my desire. the causal  body.
with the aim to exhaust our desires and remove the cause, this is the teaching of kaivalya upnishad.

It is great  to be with you.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2012 09:23 pm »

I thought you are quite free to roam the world.

my lineage is  of lahiri mahasaya.

this world is made of our desires.  my existence is due to my desire. the causal  body.
with the aim to exhaust our desires and remove the cause, this is the teaching of kaivalya upnishad.
It is great  to be with you.

As a teenager i used to practice  yoga. It seemed completely
natural to me to practice asanas during gym class.
The gym teacher was confounded and decided
to make me into his personal secretary. i really
did not relate to competitive sports. i have a connection
to India but i do not know whether i will be back
there this life as you must know traveling is
financially challenging for such distances. Yet
is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Jitendra
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2012 07:25 pm »

Wow Prabhat ! You should feel honored, Jitendra is taking your one reply and using it as the beginning of so many of his posts ... in other parts of the forum .

I haven't seen anything quite like it before, so many uses for one reply !  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2012 07:29 pm by Nitewish » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: