Spiritual Portal
Apr 20, 2024 05:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Body Consciousness

Recent Items

Views: 3
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 9
Comments (0)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Body Consciousness  (Read 363 times)
Sofia39

« on: Dec 14, 2011 11:00 am »

Mine is in the center of my head (behind my eyes) also. (Usually). But I do think this is habit and maybe a preference...but I can tell you that the times when my sense of self was "everywhere" with no specific location in the body, that was the best feeling of all. Also, I have felt the sense of self in the heart center at times...I actually do think it's a matter of which energy center is being focused on strongly (focus type). Mine is political.
My sense of self-ness changes and moves around depending on my state of consciousness and also maybe preferences or cultural conditioning.
I do think it is a matter of where one holds their attention the most strongly (habitually) and of course, this can be changed, so the sense of "identity" and self do change.

I have read accounts of some people who have had instantaneous awakenings where they seemed to then experience their sense of "self" not being in the body anymore--it was as if they were located a few feet behind the body, watching it and everything else that happened, and feeling that they were not authoring their experience or Doing anything but just watching everything happen, including what the body did. I do not think that this is the "ultimate" state or anything but it's one kind of experience that some people have (and for them it lasted)....it's fascinating to me. When I'm in the "watcher" state, I'm still merged with my body and watching it and everything from everywhere inside it, every cell and all of the senses and all of the spaces are located in the space of myself...I'm not somewhere behind the body--but that is one of the interesting possibilities, I guess!

Lastly...in the nondual Dzogchen and Advaita practices (and I'm sure you are aware of these ideas) there is the teaching that the Essence of who you really are does not change...always exists...and can be experienced but not in the ordinary way that things are experienced. This is not what I was talking about above (which is changeable.) This Essence IS everywhere and is not limited to the body. Actually the body-consciousness exists WITHIN this Essence-Space, not the Essence or Self existing in the body. I think what I was talking about above is more of a "cultural" sense of self that is based on being this body and it's perceptions and the reality that it creates...which interacts with other bodies....but the Essence self is actually everywhere and includes all--the whole universe and more--that is created by each of us as Essence.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: