Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 01:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Bowl of Saki

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bowl of Saki  (Read 21200 times)
guest88
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2018 03:36 am »

I am posting yesterday's saki. I found this to be one of the most important lessons for me right now. I am blown away by how aligned I am with the teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan and how I came to discover Sufism in the first place. It is curious to me how I do not give more importance to the synchronistic experience's that strengthen faith in an unseen intelligent force. Here's to raising awareness. And on to the lesson....

There are plenty of tidbits/talking points in this one saki alone so I will focus on the thing that immediately stood out to me. But first

You can have all good things - wealth, friends, kindness, love to give and love to receive - once you have learned not to be blinded by them, learned to escape from disappointment, and from repugnance at the idea that things are not as you want them to be.

Bowl of Saki, May 1, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

Do not expect much from friends. Why must they be as you want them to be? They are not made by you. They are as they are. You must try to be for them what they expect you to be. It matters little if your friend proves to you to be a friend. What matters is, if you prove to be a friend.

from  https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XII/XII_III_1.htm

However evolved we may be with our education and experience, yet what are we really seeking? Things from which we cannot derive any lasting gain. From these false things we gain the experience that the things to which we have hitherto attached importance and which we have valued are things that do not last. We learn at length that it would be wise to remember that all these objects and ideals and aspirations which we have in life should be judged according to whether they are dependable or not, lasting or not.

After we have perceived the truth that this or that is not to be depended upon, we find that it is not necessary to renounce them all, to give up everything in life. We can be in the crowd just as well as in seclusion in the wilderness. We can have all good things, wealth, friends, kindness, love to give and love to take once we have learned not to be blinded by them, learned to escape from disappointment, learned to escape from repugnance at the idea that the things are not as we would want them to be. A man can still attend to business, he may attain wealth, he can carry out all those things, but now his eyes are wide open; before, they were blind. This is the teaching of life. ...

It is not the actual literal renunciation which counts, it is the personal abandonment of belief in the importance of transient things. ... If there is such a thing as saintly renunciation, it is renouncing small gains for better gains; not for no gains, but seeing with open eyes what is better and what is inferior. Even if the choice has to lie between two momentary gains, one of these would always be found to be more real and lasting; that is the one that should be followed for the time. When we take the torch of wisdom to show us our path through life, we will end by realizing what is really profitable in life and what is not.

from  https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/VII/VII_15.htm

~~~ You can have all good things -- wealth, friends, kindness, love to give and love to receive -- once you have learned not to be blinded by them, learned to escape from disappointment, and from repugnance at the idea that things are not as you want them to be.

---------

Wow! At first I was hesitant when Inayat Khan says how we must try to be there for our friends even if they are not there for us. Then I realized he is describing a personal gain on a spiritual sense and could not agree more with this statement. If I believe in Love and wish to grow in this area, then Loving those who aren't always there for us makes sense. They don't need to know our belief's and recognizing that service to our friends even those who may dismiss us is service to God. No, I am not always there for friends- my ego is still so large and fragile. But I am understanding the WEALTH in this advice, the internal pursuits and kinship between God and I alone(you and God)- something that can not be described in words. The second most important lesson I am finding is, there is no need to renounce something if you can find a greater understanding in it and if you are not controlled by it....
This speaks to me. I have struggled with alcohol for a while. I have tried renouncing it but find I still enjoy a beverage from time to time. My understanding to this issue has been an internal battle between a comfort and fulfillment. I love how the goal is to be a part of the world yet for the most part unhindered by its influence. One does not need to be a hermit to achieve a great spiritual liberation. Lately I find I am not as dependent on alcohol as I once was- I find value in being able to maintain a level of self awareness while in the crowd even when offered a drink by a friend. In fact, self awareness is the mantra as of late for most every moment. No longer looking to get “fucked up” but find I'm not having to isolate myself from any social gatherings either. I am sure we all have our own way to deal with this kind of stuff but it is a great reassurance and so much to learn from his words. While I am happy to be making strides, I have seen the grip of alcoholism on this family and am still extremely cautious. With anything, the moment I think I've gotten something down I am reminded the opposite- that I still struggle with an addictive or overly excited energy...

On top of trying to discover why we do the things we do, meditation has helped slow my thoughts down and be less judgemental. I am easily agitated but am trying... Never give up, always maintain a fighting spirit and pray for awareness right? It's funny how personable yet aloof it seems we must be when living a spiritual life. Hmm

Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: